Monday, November 24, 2008

I Am Depressed

I was horrified to read that Barack Obama had offered the post of Secretary of State (SoS) to Hillary Clinton and was positively depressed when she accepted it…I thought Obama was the poster boy for change – wasn’t change (and his extremely well run campaign) the reason for his victory? With Hillary as the SoS, there will be no change…Let’s face it, she is a huge part of the establishment…Obama wanted to bring in a new administration which was radically different from the Bush-Clinton-Clinton-Bush-Bush era but now I don’t see that happening…He has ‘allowed’ Hillary to choose her own staff – do you think she’ll choose anybody new? I think not…Then there is Bill…He will obviously be a ‘shadow’ advisor…Also, his dealings with some people regarding donations for his foundation in recent years has been questionable…I’m sure these will be scrutinized with a telescope before Hillary is confirmed…

Obama was and is against the war in Iraq and wants to change the policy towards Afghanistan and Pakistan…Hillary, if you remember, voted for the war in Iraq and later when she realized it was wrong, refused to apologize for her flawed judgement...That shows an ego bigger than the universe…I can already visualize great problems between her and him...

I agree that there are positives in choosing Hillary (she has visited 82 or so countries, knows many heads of state etc.) but the negatives far outweigh them and I think the entire exercise is one of appeasement and I hope Obama’s selection of the rest of his cabinet is based on merit alone…